- 30 min
- 2 H
- 450 g homemade or store-bought fresh pasta*
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) olive oil
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) butter
- 250 mL (1 cup) onions, minced
- 250 mL (1 cup) carrots, diced
- 250 mL (1 cup) celery, diced
- 2 mL (½ tsp) salt
- 450 g (1 lb) ground veal
- 450 g (1 lb) lean ground pork
- 1 dash hot pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 L (4 cups) beef stock
- 1 796 mL bottle tomato purée (passata)
- 1 540-mL can diced Italian tomatoes
- 1 bag (320 g) of Saputo Italiano 4 Formaggi shredded cheese
*Click here to see our easy recipe for homemade fresh pasta
- In a sauce pot or Dutch oven, heat the oil and butter on medium-high heat.
- Brown the vegetables for a few minutes and add the salt.
- Add the ground pork and veal, then continue cooking for 5 minutes until the meat is browned.
- Add the hot pepper, tomato paste, bay leaf, beef stock, tomato sauce and Italian tomatoes. Stir thoroughly with a wooden spoon.
- Let the sauce simmer for 45 minutes on low heat, stirring gently from time to time. Adjust the seasoning and remove the bay leaf.
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C (350 °F)
- Cook the fresh pasta for 2 minutes in salted boiling water. Or cook store-bought pasta per package instructions.
- Drain the pasta. Transfer into a greased 22.5 x 32.5 cm (9 x 12 in) baking dish and add 4 cups of Bolognese sauce. Store the rest of the sauce for later.
- Cover the surface of the pasta with shredded cheese and bake for 30 minutes, or until the cheese is golden.
- Remove the dish from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Note: This recipe freezes well.